Saturday, July 27, 2013

A Day in the Life of an IH Warrior

Thank you to Scott Collins for writing this poem dedicated to all the IH'ers on our first annual IHope Day, June 25, 2013! 

Its 10am, and I'm still in bed
Head's still pounding
Too much pressure in my head
I would get up and try to make it
But my topamax makes it hard to fake it

Its 2pm, and I'm still in bed
Thinking about the words my doctor said
... Can't get no relief even when the icepacks' cold
I just found my last Imitrex, worth its weight in gold

Its 5pm, and now and the edge is off
But feeling down, forgot my Zoloft
If I don't remember no one will
Forgetting if I took every pill.

Its 9pm, and I'm back in bed
Talking to a friend, not believing what she said
Some think that I'm pregnant, some thought I was dead
It hurts that no one from school comes around
To encourage me when I'm feeling so down.

Its 2am and I'm still up
This icepack is cold and I put on my socks
Ringing in my ears, oh how I love you Diamox
My favorite show is on, but I need to sleep
Gotta go to the doctors, cancelled last week.

Its 6am and the headaches back
No one here to get the icepack from the freezer
My body hurts like this only after a seizure
I hope I didn't wake anyone up, in the house all around
I really needed my Gatorade to get this potassium pill down

Its 10am and I'm laying down
Hearing strange voices all around
Everything is bright, but everything is gray
I hate these ER trips, like the one I'm on today
IHope its not my shunt, IHope its not my vision
Just give me my life back, and no more incisions.


What a beautiful tribute and support for all the IH'ers out there.  Thank you again, Scott, for sharing your talent in the name of awareness for IH.

~ Pia

No comments:

Post a Comment